Re: [LUG] USB disk

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012, stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

G'day all,

I have a 160GB disk in a USB housing, the disk is a 2.5 sata drive.

Linux can see it fine, Windows Can't (stupid Windows).

Any ideas what I can do to make it work again?

Linux does not show any errors on the drive and uses it without issue. Windows does not even see it let alone use it.
I have taken it out of the housing and plugged it in, no difference.
I have fdisk'd it.
I have dd /dev/zero to the complete disk.

It is not the caddy guts, since I have used another disk with out issue and I can replicate the problem without the USB housing.

Sort of at a loss now as to what to try next.

Curiously enough after reading that, I had the same issue - although with an older 1GB USB stick - it was formatted ext3 as I'd been using it on my linux boxes, naturally, but I wanted to put some files onto my XP laptop to demontrate to a client (otherwise I'd just have FTPd them)

I tried to re-format it vfat under Linux, but XP still wouldn't recognise it. Time was pressing, so I found one that was already working... Then came back to it just now...

So what's the difference..

This is a USB drive that does work under XP (and Linux):

gordon @ yakko: fdisk -l /dev/sdc

Disk /dev/sdc: 1006 MB, 1006632960 bytes
65 heads, 32 sectors/track, 945 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2080 * 512 = 1064960 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xc3072e18

/dev/sdc1   *           1         946      983024    b  W95 FAT32
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(960, 64, 32) logical=(945, 14, 32)

and this is one that doesn't. (the one I re-formatted)

gordon @ yakko: fdisk -l /dev/sdc

Disk /dev/sdc: 1031 MB, 1031798784 bytes
32 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1015 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1984 * 512 = 1015808 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

/dev/sdc1               1        1015     1006849   83  Linux

Hm. Partition type is still 83. Let's change it to 'b' .... plug it into laptop, de-doing, recognised and files I put there under Linux are visible to XP.

So - create a partition on it (first parition), mkfs.vfat it, change partition type to 'b' and off you go...

Gordon