Re: [LUG] Local business win prize and are looking for PHP developer(s)

On 12/12/11 07:53, Henry Bremridge wrote:
On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 03:34:21PM +0000, Philip Whateley wrote:

I don't often respond in a way that risks a flame war, but I must take
issue with the comments on nurseries.

For a charitable nursery, most of the income is from Devon County Council
Early Years Entitlement Funding (the successor to the old voucher system)
This is currently £3.62 per hour per child, up to 15 hours per week for
eligible children (roughly from the term following their third birthday.)
For a 38 week year.

On the other hand, Ofsted mandate the number of children you are allowed
to have in a nursery at any one time, the ratio of staff to children (1:8
for 3 to 5 year olds); the fact that 50% of the staff must be level 3
qualified or above, combined with single term entry to schools now being
available in Devon, means that a typical PVI setting would be lucky to
make £1000 a year surplus even at the rates of pay you quote.  (The £1000
would then usually be invested in improved facilities, or retained as
contingency).

Different bodies, different laws, different ratios and different results
but I believe similar calculations apply to long term care for the aged.

They ought to start one of those organisations that works for their members interests and protects their rights and is highly undemocratic apparently - like the CBI or IEEE or the City Of London.
Tom te tom te tom