Re: [LUG] VBox and printers

On 26/11/11 20:13, bad apple wrote:
>  >>>>
> The host machine runs Mint KDE v 10. The guest is Kubuntu 11.10. The
> printer is attached to the host machine by parallel cable. Is that
> relevant? Thanks Neil
>

> Ok, well there is still no way to attach the parallel port to the VM* so
> direct printing is completely out - as another reply also said, your
> best option is to expose the printer from the host machine via the
> network. CUPS, SMB/CIFS, IPP - whatever works best for you. As both
> guest and host are linux, SMB/CIFS probably isn't the best option.
>
> The cheaty way is still to just print to file/PDF/postscript or whatever
> on the guest machine and then transfer the printjob to the host OS,
> again via your choice of method - shared folders, SCP, NFS, whatever.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Mat

Again, thanks for all your help, now and previously. I understand now
what I can and can't do. I suppose that if I had a USB printer there
would be a way? Since I am using VBox mainly to test out some distros
with regard to replacing Mint next April when the support runs out, I
probably won't worry about the print situation.

Regards

Neil