Re: [LUG] The Command Line

> I think if you have much more than that you want better tools to manage
> them.
>
> When I was doing Unix workstations I had a scripts for "run this command
> on 23 workstations". Sometimes the command was open a shell and run the
> software install app, because the software installer sometimes went
> wrong and with 23 workstations you could manually deal with the one or
> two that might fail each time manually.
Sounds Old School to me :)

> I suspect there are relatively few organisations so large that they
> genuinely need more than one server doing the same thing for performance
> reasons these days (redundancy yes, but performance?). Sure the Googles,
> Facebooks and Amazons of this world probably do needs a large number of
> identically configured servers, but then "identically configured" scales
> a lot easier.
Absolutely agree with this. Not that I am 100% into box setup - but I'm
sure these days you SSH into a load balanced network rather than a
single server.

> For Desktop management I've mostly only dealt with numbers in the 100's,
> and at that point they all want to be identical, or in a very limited
> number of configurations.
>
> I worked closely with SUN at one point, and was involved with managing
> lots of systems for them. Their approach was pretty straight forward,
> and internally they had corporate Jump start profiles and
> recommendations, but of course as an IT company they were heavily
> involved in managing exceptions to these configurations. Though the
> tools used weren't amazingly sophisticated, and most (all?) came on the
> regular Solaris install media, and Big Admin website.
Were they managing exceptions more than using recommendations ? Would
sound about right. :)

> HP use to have some nice (but expensive) tools to group systems, stage
> roll outs, queue up actions for machines that are currently not
> available, and the like (mostly Microsoft Windows and HP-UX, but handled
> some other systems as well). These were surprisingly well polished, so I
> assume they were widely used at the time.
>
> Recently many tools seem to assume your environment is more anarchic
> than that, and has some sort of "ideal" configuration, and tries to
> identify systems that aren't ideal, and migrate them to the Utopian
> view. HP labs in Bristol were also doing some security tools which
> worked in a similar fashion, which seems to assume that big corporate
> networks will always be a mess and you just need to know how bad it is.
HAHA I like it :) Brilliant.

> That said good scripting is essential for this sort of stuff, and the
> first thing you learnt for big Microsoft Windows desktop deployments was
> how to run a script when a user logs in, although a lot of things those
> scripts use to do is now "built-in". I think here the distinction is
> scripting from the command line, the command line is cool, but scripts
> are what allows you to easily specify how to handle variation, an failure.
Yep - I highly doubt I'll ever be writing any long scripts directly into
the command line though - more just running them. However, simple bash
scripting has become an essential for getting me out of web server holes
lately!