Re: [LUG] VPS Memory Usage

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 15:36 +0100, Gibbs wrote:
> I don't know a great deal about memory usage but I'm struggling to
> understand this. On my VPS memory usage is typically between 65-95%.
> This is fine as its there to be used but I do get concerned when it
> reaches the 90%+ region for periods.
>
> Another thing I don't really understand is that none of it is buffered
> or cached. Here's the output of "free -m":

> Mem:           960        807        152          0          0          0
> -/+ buffers/cache:        807        152
> Swap:            0          0          0
>

> Can anyone explain if this high usage is OK? I have around 20 websites
> on this Ubuntu VPS including mail. Amavis, Clam, Apache and MySQL are
> taking the majority.
>
> Cheers

Compared to which other OS?
Just think you have not even got to use Swap yet if you include that
( say just 1 Gig ) then you are less than 40% of system mem

 My fedora Desktop with MYSQL and Apache 2 gig of Ram lots of Apps open
on all 4 Desktops with 3D Desktop gismos etc

free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:          1949       1330        619          0        101
762
-/+ buffers/cache:        466       1483
Swap:         3903          0       3903

 as a comparison

--
Regards

Kevin Lucas