Re: [LUG] Yet again Torbay Council show their true beurocratic colours

On 23/10/10 20:46, Tom Brough wrote:

> My netbook battery lasts about 45 minutes if Im lucky ... its first
> generation acer with original battery. its the principal of the thing
> that annoys me. These are class 2 power supplies which by HSE own
> guidelines are just not worth testing. She is wrong if she thinks it

Possibly the most ironic thing is that laptop (and mobile phone)
batteries carry more actual risk.

Whilst both the law and the HSE guidelines actually require a simple
common sense approach to risk management and reduction the way many
organisations choose to interpret them can be anything but.

Thus you end up with "tick box" approaches to risk assesment. As well as
all sorts of daftness (including complex rules and regulations).
Whilst at the same time the likes of building sites, which are
dangerous, go uninspected.

In many cases preventing serious or fatal injury isn't "rocket science"
nor does it require any fancy training course/certification.

> only costs £2 to test .... I will challenge here (in front of Adrian
> Sanders) to find an electrician to do it for that, and besides £2 x 15
> members is £30 a year, which could be spent better on training or
> promotion materials.

The HSE dosn't require an "electrician" to carry out PAT tests anyway.
Simply that the person doing so be competent. I've seen PAT testers
who's idea of testing earth continuity of a PC involves forcing a
screwdriver into a USB socket.