Re: [LUG] Software Freedom Day

On 19/09/10 20:33, John wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-09-19 at 20:15 +0100, tom brough wrote:
>
>> To say just because people are apathetic in general its OK to continue
>> to be as someone else will pick up the slack for me sounds a lame
>> excuse. You can use open source software 364 days of the year and I wont
>> disturb you in fact I would be elated, BUT just asking people to give up
>> 24 hours (8 hours for the event itself + 16 hours prep during the year)
>> doesn't seem to me to be too much to ask in return. Its not like I'm
>> asking you to do something you don't do already...
>
> I don't disagree in principle, but you just can't *expect" people to do
> it because your own belief is that they should, or that you already do.
> I think it actually did not cast the LUG in a very good light to the
> (guessing here) many lurkers on the list.
>
>> If you don't want to contribute anything else, or you are busy
>> contributing in some other way .... that's fine, but for the one date in
>> the calendar that can make a difference, should we not make the effort?
>
> If people want to contribute then they will, sometimes a little gentle
> poking is needed for sure, but if they don't then I thought that was ok
> too by the community at large.

Thanks John ... but I have already tried the carrot approach and I think
after 10 years support open source in various projects (please read my
original email carefully not scan it). I am entitled to do a bit of butt
kicking.....

I never expected to get 100% support, I have been working in the open
source community for too long ... however it would be nice to see a few
more people take an active part in what should after all be seen as a
celebration of open source not a chore.

Even if only a few (different) people took an interest each year that
would be enough to turn a side show into a main event. Even if people
around Devon were prepared to go out 1 month before the event and get it
advertised in their local area, that would be a good contribution.

There seems to be a pattern that once it gets near to the event
everyone's support and enthusiasm dissipates into thin air. Its not good
organising a grand event if you are left with just a hand full of people
to manage it on the day.

Tom.