Re: [LUG] Dual booting new laptop

On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 15:29 +0100, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> Any suggestions for the best way to install Debian (Testing) on a new
> laptop with Windows 7 (and yes I want to keep Windows 7 for those
> occasional awkward programs that insist on windows)
>
> Found  http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=51300 which seems too
> easy:
> - Resize windows (using gparted)
> - Install Debian
> I admit given past experience I am nervous of grub2 reacting with windows 7
My new netbook came with Windows 7 starter which I've decided to keep. I
have installed Ubuntu alongside, leaving windows with about 50G of
space.

> If so then the real question is whether to start Windows first or after
> installation of debian.
I was going to install Ubuntu before booting into Windows for the first
time. However the partition layout was rather unusual so I decided to
boot into Windows first and go through the initial config steps. This
left the system with a relatively sane partition layout. So I'd
recommend this route.

My netbook comes with a 'create a system recovery CD' program, since it
didn't come with any media. In hindsight I should have created this
first, before diving in installing Ubuntu. Luckily I didn't have any
problems but it was a risk I should have avoided taking.

I then installed Ubuntu from CD and let Grub 2 do it's thing (installed
to the MBR I presume). Afterwards, booting into Windows came up with
some errors but there was a option to 'repair'. I let Windows do this
expecting it to either fail, or trash my Ubuntu install. In fact it
churned away for a while, decided everything was ok and left me with a
perfect dual booting system.

So I have no idea what 'repair' meant. I don't think it was just a disk
check. In any case, since it all worked I didn't look into it any
further.

> (Any thoughts on the following would also be gladly welcomed
> - Allocating 50Gb for windows 7
Sure. That's about what I did.
> - Encrypt some or all of the hard-drive
I toyed with using lvm crypt but decided to go with the home user folder
encrypting system which now seems to be standard in Ubuntu. My Windows
partition is not encrypted but I don't care. I only kept it to do things
like mobile phone firmware upgrades.

> - Mount Windows 7 from Debian (presumably automount in /etc/fstab) )
I'm happy to let gnome do this for me. I haven't used automount in
years. But then I don't really want to share data between the two OSs.

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.