Re: [LUG] Dual booting new laptop

On 22/06/10 15:29, Henry Bremridge wrote:
Any suggestions for the best way to install Debian (Testing) on a new
laptop with Windows 7 (and yes I want to keep Windows 7 for those
occasional awkward programs that insist on windows)

Found  http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=51300 which seems too
easy:
- Resize windows (using gparted)
- Install Debian
I admit given past experience I am nervous of grub2 reacting with windows 7

Sounds about right. On Ubuntu as part of the installer it will re-size an existing Windows install, I gather this uses GParted to do this, so doing it manually you can tweak it exactly how you want to.

Is there still an option to use the original Grub in Debian?

If so then the real question is whether to start Windows first or after
installation of debian.

Um... I'd guess that Windows 7 was already installed right?

If not, install Windows first then Debian. If you want a specific partition layout (such as Linux partitions first) then use GParted off a live CD to partition the drive with a couple of Linux partitions (/, /home, swap etc) and a Windows partition.

Then install Windows, then install Debian.

Windows 7 doesn't take too long to install, well not too long to install a basic install although you may find that if the laptop came pre-installed with Windows you might not have any installation media, in which case, boot into Windows and create a set of recovery DVDs. Also worth bearing in mind, some recovery DVDs will wipe the hard drive, so if Windows screws up and you restore, it could wipe Debian.

(Any thoughts on the following would also be gladly welcomed
- Allocating 50Gb for windows 7

Should be possible with GParted. I've generally put the Windows partition first set to however large I want it and use the rest for Linux.

- Encrypt some or all of the hard-drive

Have a look a Truecrypt, it's cross platform (Windows/Linux, and even MAC I think). I it'll allow you to encrypt a pre-installed copy of Windows, and I'd assume the same would be true of Linux too. I tried it once with Windows XP, worked pretty well.

- Mount Windows 7 from Debian (presumably automount in /etc/fstab) )

Yep, I'd do it like that making sure I used the NTFS-3G driver.

Rob