Re: [LUG] BECTA Gone ...

On 24/05/10 12:05, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/24/becta_cut/
>
>> From that article:
>
>>> Schools are expected to get more control over their technology
>>> purchases as a result.
>
>> And:
>
>>> While in opposition Osborne himself suggested  wider adoption of open
>>> source software could slash school IT spending by half.
>
>> Sounds good to me!
>
>> Gordon
>
> Sounds good,  did they ever do anything useful anyway ?
>
> Paul

It depends on you point of view. BECTA did negotiate a lower license fee
for schools some time back. It may have done Microsoft based schools a
favor ... but it set back open source because it gave Microsoft another
crow bar to use to worm their way into schools with smaller budgets and
gobble it all up.

The one thing that BECTA (i believe) got right, was that they did
identify that there would need to be a better support structure before
open source could make any inroads into schools. I think that problem
still exists + teacher inertia towards anything "new".

Get the teacher training colleges teaching open source, or at least how
open source can be integrated into the classroom and then at least some
of the problem will be solved. Until then, its going to be a frustrating
haul up the learning curve.

Perhaps with BECTA gone Microsoft will pick off schools one by one
again. Good or Bad ... I don't know ? Good if the schools go running to
FLOSS but Bad if even more of the school budget has to go to the
Microsoft "protection" scheme.

Tom.