Re: [LUG] most graphically impressive live-cd - for a windows user to try

Juan J. Martínez wrote:
> El mar, 30-03-2010 a las 10:38 +0100, Roland Tarver escribió:
>> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm a fan of XFCE especially on older hardware, although LXDE is a better choice
>>> for really old hardware, or maybe FWM2.  Can't think of the other lightweight
>>> Window Managers out there.
>>>
>>> Rob
>> I have heard of the IceWM, Fluxbox and Ratpoison window managers. From
>> what I read they are supposed to be lighter than xfce. I have no
>> personal experience of any of them however.
>
> I guess the difference is IceWM, Fluxbox, etc are window managers, and
> XFCE and LXDE aim to be lightweight desktop environments.
>
> Today seems that it's assumed that there's only one thing (the desktop).
> It's a subtle difference, but in "the old days" it was important (when
> Gnome & KDE started up, I was a WindowMaker fan... but I think today it
> would be difficult to me to go back to that way of work).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Juanjo

I have never looked at LXDE. Must give it a go. I have tried Fluxbox but
for me it is too minimal. But I do like Xfce now that I have become used
to it. As I said, it is on my laptop. The desktop still uses Kubuntu
Hardy. Will need to upgrade it soon. I am really considering moving away
from KDE altogether. For me all the pretty extras are somewhat pointless.

Neil