Re: [LUG] OT - is a PC screen HD?

Rob Beard wrote:
Yep certainly is. My TV is a 720p TV but supports 1080i, when I set my PS3 to 1080i it certainly doesn't look as good to me. According to this article 720p is higher quality than 1080i...

http://tinyurl.com/720p-vs-1080i

However, I guess it can be different for each individual. For instance my Dad has his Freesat box (and Freeview box which upscales) set to 1080i and he's happy with that.

I was under the impression that 24 fps was what actual 32mm film runs at - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

Guess it makes sense in that respect to keep it the same as 35mm film, certainly for things like movies transferred to Bluray.

Rob

Ah OK that does make sense then. Curious then when they started making TVs that they didn't use the same frame-rate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC

Ah OK. In a nutshell, because US power works on 60hz AC the field refresh rate matches that to avoid modulation. As we use a different system that no doubt accounts for the different field/frame rate in the UK.

Julian