Re: [LUG] OT - is a PC screen HD?

Simon Williams wrote:
On 14/03/10 18:38, dandart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
If it's greater than 1920x1080, then it's HD, afaik. Any lower and it's
not "Full HD" but it might be "HD Ready".

TV gets really confusing. I've heard claims that HD still works much like PAL in that some of the lines are reserved for extra information (maybe subtitles, teletext, TV guide, etc). If this is true then it's possible that 1680x1050 monitors can actually do 1080p, with 30 lines being this 'unseen' information.

Can anyone confirm/deny this? I know nothing about TV. There's no consensus on the internet either.

It'll probably do 1080i, but I doubt it'll do FullHD 1080p as it's 1920x1080, and from experience there doesn't appear to be any missing lines, although some HD movies tend to have borders on the top and bottom of the screen to get the cinema style aspect ratio (something like 2.35:1 rather than 1.78:1 although don't quote me on that, I don't have a DVD box handy to check).

I doubt any lines are used for unseen information as it's all digital now, additional information such as subtitles and any metadata can be put in as a stream, so you'd get the video stream which are most probably MPEG2 or h264 depending on source, one or more audio streams in either Dolby Digital, DTS or Linear PCM or maybe MPEG Audio formats (or one of the derivertives, there's now Dolby Digital True HD and DTS Master Audio which are supposed to be uncompressed higher quality audio streams) and maybe one or more subtitle streams. I'm not sure if multi-angle is supported on Bluray, I certainly haven't seen any discs which support it yet, but then I only have about 10 Bluray's so far. Maybe it's something that's supported along with BDLive (which so far seems to be a pointless add-on).

Rob