Re: [LUG] hp mininote 2133

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010, Dave Foxcroft wrote:
>
>> bas wrote:
>>> hi Dave.
>>>           Mine came with SLED (which i don't like) so looking at
>>> others, i have a spare copy of xp but don't want to use wins if i can
>>> help it. Just about to do a proper install of vector 6.0, the only
>>> troubles i seem to have so far are the wireless drivers (on
>>> pclinuxos, but the kernel is too early and im not too sure about
>>> installing another later one as 2.6.27.31 wouldn't boot) so,, ill try
>>> the install and see how it goes, let you know how i get on..
>>>
>> I don't like SLED either...or Unbuntu for that matter!
>>
>> Yeah wireless doesn't work with SLED  - neither does the webcam
>>
>> I did think about trying vector.. I've heard a few people rave about
>> it. Hopefully the install goes well and we will know that there
>> another distro for the HP2133.
>
> And this is what irritates me with Linux... (Well, one of the things ;-)
>
> Rather than jump from distribution to distribution, why not just find
> one that has a reasonable set of utilities, is reasonably up to date,
> reasonably well supported, good enough to give you basic functionality,
> then compile your own kernel?
>
> Sure - it's not for everyone, and cue the eternal hand-wringers and
> whingers going on about Linux not end-user ready, but it's a sure-fire
> way to get all hardware going, and get a kernel that'll boot quicker too.
>
> That's probably all that's stopping your current distribution from working.
>
> Bring it along to the next Sunday meet :)
>
> Gordon

Next meeting is on saturday 6th.

If we want a sunday meet I can sort one out,  perhaps when the
lighthouse opens up properly.   probably, mid Feb.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net

Ubuntu 9.10 is out : Visit www.ubuntu.com for details
DCGLUG MEETINGS - Details on www.dcglug.org.uk/drupal6,  - please click
on Group meetings link on right hand side
Aged 11 - 19 then dfey may be for you,  please goto http://www.dfey.org
for more details