Re: [LUG] hp mininote 2133

baslake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Posted by "Barry Ayres" <baslake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

hi lugs,

       Has any one got a mininote 2133 with the Via c7-m 1.2Ghz (hmmm) processor in
and if so what o/s are you running ? have just tried ubuntu-9.10 netbook remix and
although pretty it seems a bit on the slow side (via).the wireless
drivers,,broadcom-wl for other o/s are a bit dodgy also (pclinuxos kernel is not
late enough to run them, 2.6.27.31).

thanks,,

bas.
--

Generated by the contributors page in the members area at D+C GLUG
http://www.dcglug.org.uk/members/list.php
webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Both my HP2133's are as shipped - 1GB Ram, 120GB HDD and Via C7-m  1.2GHz
What OS did it come with.... mine came with SLED 10 Pre-installed - so you could use that.

I left SLED10 on one and installed XP on the other- sad to say to the one with XP actually performs better (IMHO) and everything works. This is down to HP having all the correct drivers available for XP and making an absolute hash with the default SLED install - c'mon HP why ship a machine with an OS (out of the box) that you know doesn't support all the hardware in it and have support staff who don't know jack about either the machine or the OS installed on it?. I had to get HP to send out the SLED 10 installation CD and re-install the one with SLED 10 on it due to a number of issues with the factory install (I can't remember what they were it was over a year ago!)to be honest I have only used it a couple of times since then and although runs fine, some of the hardware still does'nt work so it doesn't fully meet my needs.Having another one that works just fine and does everything I want means that I keep the SLED as a spare. I had intended to try several other distro's on it but haven't managed to find the time .

Most of the stuff on the Internet points to using UNR as it seems the easiest/most workable option but as you have tried this and it doesn't fit the bill then maybe one of the small distro's such as Puppy or Tinycore might work - I have used Puppy on an old Pentium 233 laptop and it works fine so maybe it might be worth looking at these lightweight distro's

FWIW - I know several people with 2133's that they use daily and without exception, all run XP!

Dave