Re: [LUG] Ubuntu Hour in the UK

Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> This was just posted by Alan Pope on the Ubuntu-UK mailing list (I
> believe he's also a on the DCGLUG mailing list too).  Anyway, it's a
> post about a think called Ubuntu hour.
>
> Sounds like a rather good idea if you ask me, maybe something we could
> incorporate into LUG meetings, or possibly other venues such as the
> Lighthouse (not sure if we could tie something in there with the
> upcoming internet cafe), or maybe something at the Exwick Community
> Centre possibly in the future?
>
> Anyway, details are below...
>
> Rob

Sounds good, I know you are busy we need to get moving on the light
house front,  i need to try and catch up with our neighbours landlord to
ask about the kitchen worktop they could use,  I then need to get it
down there, tyrone was meant to e-mail me but doesn't seem to have done
so yet,

on that if anyone has any old kitchen work top handy and don't mind
donating it to the lighthouse for the internet cafe,  please let me know.

ubuntu hour would work a lot better if we had a few computers to show it
off on, and perhaps 1 computer that can be used to burn copies if we
can't get official copies from canonical.

As soon as their internet cafe is up and running properly and the kit
tested they will be go for a ubuntu based internet cafe.

It also seems they ave having issues getting people to PAT test the
equipment, people say they will do it, then don't so if anyone can help
that would be really helpful.

What is the situation with regard to Exwick, seems things up there are
rather slow moving,  :(

I guess its all down to time or lack thereof.

Once your other half is sorted out with event planning perhaps she can
help do stuff like phone round / visit, etc.

paul

> Hi,
>
> I was lucky enough to attend the Ubuntu Developer Summit (UDS) at the
> end of last year. Probably the most inspiring of the lightning talks
> was one called Ubuntu Hour by Fabián Rodríguez. In it Fabián discussed
> the problems of organising major events with venues and other
> facilities, and diluted down a meeting to one hour. He explained the
> incredibly simple premice of Ubuntu Hour.
>
> It is based on announcing your intention to be somewhere public at a
> specified time and date for one hour only. No presentations planned,
> no marketing, just a brief announcement of intent to be somewhere.
> People are then invited to turn up and do whatever comes to mind for
> the hour. This could be advocacy, informal ad-hoc training, fixing a
> broken system, really whatever the attendees need at the time. It
> could happen weekly, bi-weekly or monthly depending on the need in the
> local area.
>
> What also got me thinking about this was a recent bug report filed
> against the Ubuntu Community (yes, the community has a bug tracker :)
> ).
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-community/+bug/392986
>
> In it Randall Ross explains how he thinks that perhaps LoCos aren't
> "LoCo" enough. There are plenty of people around the UK who run
> Ubuntu, and probably don't know about other people in their region.
> The Ubuntu Hour would be an ideal way to get mini-locos going. If
> you're interested in getting together with people in your area, this
> seems like an ideal initiative to do it. We can discuss what we're
> doing on the list, and figure out the best way to promote and run
> them. Remember they're designed to be informal, what works for an
> Ubuntu Hour in one town/county may not work for someone else. Lets be
> flexible.
>
> We have a wiki page listing Ubuntu Hours around the world, and I
> wanted to encourage people to consider scheduling an hour to be
> somewhere and let the community know. I'd love to start hearing about
> Ubuntu Hours around the UK.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Hour
>
> Here's a report of a previous Ubuntu Hour in the USA.
>
> http://www.ubuntu-user.com/layout/set/print/content/view/full/654
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net

Ubuntu 9.10 is out : Visit www.ubuntu.com for details
DCGLUG MEETINGS - Details on www.dcglug.org.uk/drupal6,  - please click
on Group meetings link on right hand side
Aged 11 - 19 then dfey may be for you,  please goto http://www.dfey.org
for more details