Re: [LUG] BSD

Neil Winchurst wrote:

Thanks for all that info. I have been browsing about BSD. The main one,
Free-BSD, looks to have a rather involved install set up. I have also
looked at PC-BSD which looks quite good. Now I will look at NetBSD and
OpenBSD after your comments.

The FreeBSD install process probably isn't as touchy-feely as some Linux
distributions, but it isn't actually that bad once you get into it.  It
is fairly quick, so not that much of a pain to redo if you decide you've
got it wrong.

What really gives me the willies (and I realise there are people who
think it's far better than yum/rpm/apt) is the package management and
update process.  Unless it's massively improved recently.

I've not used PC-BSD so can't comment on that, but if you have
moderately "normal" hardware, of {Free,Net,Open}BSD I think I'd be
tempted to go with FreeBSD.

James