Re: [LUG] BSD

Dan Dart wrote:
> FreeBSD is said to be the "official" - somewhat similar to Ubuntu but more so.
> NetBSD is another, for portability runs on tonnes of architectures...
> OpenBSD is way more secure than most other things - much more so than
> Linux - "2 remote holes in the default installation in a hell of a
> long time".
>
> The commands vary quite a bit from Linux - but being POSIX-compliant,
> they are quite similar and programs can be compiled for them (Native
> Linux ELFs can also run using a Wine-like compatibility layer).
>
> I have tried all 3 main ones, plus PC-BSD (which tries to make FreeBSD
> easier). They're pretty good. I am thinking of using one as a base for
> a distro of mine.
>
> The BSD license is vry short - it just entails you can do anything to
> the software as long as you credit the people who made it (you don't
> have to keep it free, like Linux).
>
> Hope that helps.
> Cheers
> Dan

Thanks for all that info. I have been browsing about BSD. The main one,
Free-BSD, looks to have a rather involved install set up. I have also
looked at PC-BSD which looks quite good. Now I will look at NetBSD and
OpenBSD after your comments.

This is a bit like Linux in that there are different versions to look
at, not so many of course, and it is a bit difficult to decide which one
to go for.

Thanks

Neil