Re: [LUG] BSD

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 03:31:55PM +0000, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I have noticed mention of freeBSD several times in this list. I decided
> to have a Google about it and am now somewhat confused/overwhelmed.
>
> There seems to be several versions, (eg PC-BSD, Desktop-BSD) although
> quite similar to each other. I have used Linux for several years now. If
> I wanted to try out BSD, does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions
> for me please, such as which version to go for?

PC-BSD and DesktopBSD are to FreeBSD, as I understand it, what Ubuntu is
to Debian. I've never used either of them.

If you're comfortable with the commandline, you should have no problem
with FreeBSD. You might also be interested in NetBSD or OpenBSD, which
are similar, but there are more differences between the three than
between typical Linux distributions.

--
Benjamin M. A'Lee || bma@xxxxxx || gpg: 0x166891C7 || http://bma.cx/
I would say that I'm a nonviolent soldier. In place of weapons of violence, you