Re: [LUG] upgrade test - Kubuntu

Viv Griffin wrote:
As I have never had an upgrade work 100% correctly (various distros), I
installed Kubuntu 9.04 this morning on a test laptop and am now in the
process of testing the upgrade to 9.10. I will let you know how it goes.

The upgrade process is definitely struggling with working out how long
it will take - it keeps changing between 1 hour and 2.5 hours.

I couldn't get wpa2 wifi to work correctly on Kubuntu 9.04 and I want to
find out if the problem is sorted out in the new version. I understand
that it has been.
Well you have to consider the mirrors are probably being really hammered at the moment. I tried downloading the zsync file from a UK mirror and it really struggled. I've plumped for the torrent and I was getting a healthy 600KByte/sec (okay no where near my 2MByte/sec I normally get but it was a darn sight quicker than doing a download via HTTP).

I can't say I've had any problems upgrading from Ubuntu versions, although I generally do a fresh install as my machine tends to get filled with stuff I test and forget to remove. You have to remember though to do an upgrade from one version to another and not jump between releases, so if you're upgrading from 8.10, upgrade to 9.04 then 9.10. Can't remember about LTS to LTS release, I have a feeling it is possible to upgrade from LTS to LTS version (so from 6.06 LTS to 8.04 LTS and then to 10.04 LTS next year) although don't take my word for it.

Rob