Re: [LUG] department of work and pensions = FAIL

On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 19:04 +0100, tom wrote:
> Simon Robert wrote:
> > the point is that it is only partly a web application, behind it is a
> > massive and complex application. The web part seems to work fine with
> > any browser yiou want to throw at it. It would appear that the data
> > crunching afterwards can't handle anything but MS. So it looks like you
> > can make your application and fill in the forms, but after that nothin g
> > will happen as your data will have fallen into a black hole.
> >
> > As for your point, yes the browser, javascript is not OS dependent.
> > Didn't I just say it wasn't. That's why it works! It would seem that
> > beyond that something can't handle the data transfers from these apps if
> > linux is serving them. I really don't think that this department is so
> > dumb that they'd say "you can enter data using Apple/Unix, but it's not
> > going to work" if what they meant was "only IE will work with this
> > site", which is patently not true. I think they are telling the truth
> > and are trying to stop linux/mac users wasting time entering data when
> > nothing is going to result from it.
> >

> Well why don't they stop apple/Linux users from apparently being able to
> use it, rather than just writing about it? If the data really does fall
> into a black hole then it should only be a couple of lines of code to
> test whether your browser is spoofing or not - JScript is not
> JavaScript. I don't think this is a Sieble problem  - someones gone out
> of their way to screw this up.
> Tom te tom te tom

really? a group of programmers at the DWP who are so besotted with MS
they have written the interface between the web browser stuff and this
major CRM app so it cannot be used by unix/apple/linux? Yeh sure..

If you want to see what is being used by the browser do control u in
firefox, It isn't jscript.

I notice that in the list of apps/companys owned by Oracle, as is
siebel, is something called JD Edwards. I worked for a company which
looked at taking on JD Edwards, it is a CRM with its own programming
language, data base etc and would only work on MS hardware (which is why
this large yogurt producer didn't in the end use it). All this guff
about browsers is just that, guff! The DWP is using a very expnsive CRM
system unable to take data from unices.

Apply for a pension and see if it's true. You can certainly enter all
the data. You just won't get your money s the uinderlying system will
have fragged it.