Re: [LUG] Slightly OT: New Enta packages announced

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> It looks like the new details of packages have been released by Enta.
>  The details can be found here [1] (from the UKFSN) web site but I
> presume it will be pretty much the same for all Enta resellers...

Well Enta haven't seen fit to email me about the updates yet, but I
suspect I'm *much* further down the pecking order than UKFSN!

However there is all the information about it on the partners website.
Looks like "all change" from the 30th of March.

Looks like their traffic management will change too and "high bandwidth
users" will be targetted with "an alternative set of rules". (if you get
caught more than "5 times in a 14 day period", but only when the traffic
management is in-place on the node you are connected to. So if you happen
to land on a lighly used node, then download all you can eat, but if the
node gets busy, then everyone will get throttled in 500Kbps steps, but
"high bandwidth users" will get throttled more.

>>From the document:

   What is the ALT?

   The ALT is an innovative tool that has been introduced into the Entanet
   network to maximise performance for all users and to ensure any latency
   and packet loss is kept to a minimum at times of stress. Whereas other
   providers control and restrict several key protocols, Entanet believes
   that it is not for the provider to decide which traffic is a priority
   for the individual user. As such the ALT still allows end users to
   utilise their connection for their required purposes.

I'm guessing it's the backhaul from each node to Enta HQ that's the
bottleneck here (Gb or multiple Gb links?), but they won't give that
information out due to it's "commercial sensitivity".

I'll bring a copy of the current "partner pack" along on Saturday for
anyone who's intersted.

> [1] http://www.ukfsn.org/newadslproducts.html
>
> Doesn't look as bad as originally thought.  I'm on the Office 45
> connection at the moment which gives me 45GB peak allowance and 300GB
> off peak so if anything it means I'll just get unlimited bandwidth
> (albeit possibly throttled if I download too much or slower if there's
> high usage on the node).

I'm on the same package too - and it's what I suggest for all my customers
too, however, I might just drop down to the Business 15 as it's more than
enough for my needs and all my bulk transfers (remote backups, etc.)
happen overnight....

> If anything I'd rather be on this than something like Talktalk with
> their 40GB a month limits (I use well over 40GB a month although most of
> it tends to be off-peak usage although now with the new packages on Enta
> I might try and change my browsing/downloading habits to spread out over
> the month).

Good thinking!

Gordon