Re: [LUG] Debian on an Acer Aspire One ...

On 02/02/2009 10:37, Ray Smith wrote:
> VMware was pretty slow to be honest. I justwanted to know that it would
> work. I will probably try virtual box in the next couple of days.
> According to the LXF article it's not so resource hungry.

I'm using VirtualBox on my laptop at the moment (albeit the non-free
version on Vista) and I have found it to be pretty good.  What I do like
is the fact that you can specify how much video memory the virtual
machines has.  Okay it won't run Windows 7, at least not on my laptop
but hey that's no bad thing.  Ubuntu works great in it, I haven't tried
Windows XP on it yet though.  I would assume it would even work with
OS/2 as well as Innotek who wrote VirtualBox before they were
assimilated by Sun released an OS/2 version AFAIK.

I would assume though by the sounds of things for serious virtulisation
I guess it's probably worth waiting for the next revision of the Atom
(maybe it'll be called the Electron and in a couple of releases time
Intel could release one called the Archemedies ;-)
>> I bet something like the Aspire One would be perfect for emulation
>> too, just small enough to carry around in a bag and big enough screen
>> to enjoy the games without squinting (fellow retro addict here too).
>>
>> Rob
>>
> Absolutely right. As I said up top, Nintendo 64 emulation is superb with
> mupen.
> Fuse is good for spectrum emulation and good old snes9x is great too.

Well that would cover all my emulation 'wants'.  All we need now is
someone to release an in-car netbook kit (okay I guess it's technically
possible to use a MiniITX board in one of those Vroom cases with a
couple of 7" LCDs.  Doubt my wife would see the need though although
it'd keep the kids quiet.
> Just discovered Claws mail is a good alternative to evolution under
> ubuntu with this device too.

I'll take a look at that, always nice to know about lightweight
alternatives (personally I prefer e-mail with a gui, never really got to
grips with terminal based e-mail).

Rob