Re: [LUG] Debian on an Acer Aspire One ...

Apologies if this mail doesn't look right but I'm using my sky web
mail from firefox on the aspire one with the default linpus desktop
and I refuse to set of the supplied email client again. Awful.

Interesting posts about debian. Very similar to my experience with
ubuntu over the last week since I got mine last tuesday.

Linpus initially lasted about 4 hours after yum couldn't install
pidgin or amsn and I though rather than spen ages enabling an advance
desktop mode and tinkering with adding custom yum repos and sorting
out breakages I might as well do all that with a "proper" distro.

Tried fedora first as I already had it on usb and it seemed fine but
I'm used to deb packages and apt-get etc so used my intrepid cd on the
other laptop to make a usb boot. again fine but no wifi and from my
earlier post about alternative distros I downloaded linux4one as this
has now reached release 1. This is a customised ubuntu distro based on
hardy but with the latest kernel and netbook remix. slimmed down
somewhat but wifi working on reboot, wifi led working, internal mic
sorted out and screen fonts sorted.
No editing of scripts needed.
All looked peachy and really if all I wanted from this was a basic
desktop I would have stuck at that.

Unfortunately I like to mess around and decided to try virtualbox. No
supported kernel options. vmware complained of no kernel source
despite it being installed, build essential installed and path
pointing to correct places.

My happauge usb stick wasn't recognised even when the formware was
placed in the correct directory so I thought I'd try full blown
intrepid.

Intrepid is great. The fonts was sorted by one line added in xorg.
wifi is sorted by latest madwifi drivers and is incredibly stable. No
lockups or disconnects.
A quick compile of the lates alsa module sorted out the volume and mic
problems some users seem to get in the forums.

Last night I decided that it would be handy to have a fast boot just
to check the internet and read ebooks and have a full blown desktop so
I have set up linpus on an 8 gig partition and the rest to ubuntu.
Now I know what I'm doing I just need to spend an hour or two setting
it back up.

with a stopwatch linpus boots up in 22 seconds and on the net in another 10.
Disabling the startup sound in ubuntu and modules like bluetooth and
tracker etc. which I don't use I get to a useable desktop in 61
seconds.

In the last few days I have discovered I can not just browse the web
and check email but watch freeview TV, catch up with iplayer in
wetherspoons over breakfast.
Watch Tv shows and movies ripped from DVD without dropping frames.
Access all my network files. Have my entire music and video library on tap.
Play openarena, chromium,pingus and tuxracer and other 3D games better
than I imagined possible with this device.
And the best discovery I made being a retro addict was that mupen64
played my N64 games brilliantly !

It's been a great week and I've barely touched the 'big' laptop. This
is now my device of choice.

Ray