Re: [LUG] Power Consumption

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Grant Sewell wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 22:15:35 +0000
> David Bell wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 22 January 2009 20:51, Rob Beard wrote:
>>
>>> What CPU is it?
>>
>>  It's an Athlon XP 1800+
>>
>>> Are you running KDE now as well?
>>
>> It makes no difference - Gnome, Kde and X ....
>>
>> Thanks everyone for the various thoughts on the subject.  I'll
>> re-install Xubuntu plus LXDE.
>
> Giving up so soon?  Are you not curious what's causing the issue in the
> first place?  (It'd drive me nuts not knowing... even if it turns out
> to be something that I have neither the inclination nor capability to
> change, I'd still want to know what it was).

I've recently bought/installed a few Atom systems - one thing I noticed
with certian kernel options is that the acpi daemon runs at 100%. And with
the atom being multi-cored+hyperthreaded, you might not notice it... (The
ones I have are dual-core too). Removing some of the power saving options
in the kernel compile fixed it.... However I wasn't measuring power
consumption at the time. If you google for acpid 100% there are plenty of
hits.

One thing I did find out about the atom - it's not the cpu that sucks the
juice, but the northbridge chip - the motherboard I have have a fan - but
it's not on the cpu! That runs cool....

Gordon