Re: [LUG] Power Consumption

On 22/01/2009 20:24, David Bell wrote:
> During the past few days I've been installing various distros on my "mature"
> Acer Aspire laptop.
>
> Today I installed Debian Lenny and found that not only does the fan run all
> the time but that it consumes nearly 30 watts more than other distros with
> the KDE running.
>
> Any ideas why?

What CPU is it?

Maybe for some reason the power saving (PowerNow/Cool & Quiet on AMD or
SpeedStep on Intel) isn't running properly and it's running the CPU at
full whack?

I found that with Ubuntu it wouldn't support Cool & Quiet on my Phenom
X4 because the package was too old.  Tweaking a config file fixed that.

Are you running KDE now as well?  Not sure if KDE has a CPU speed
monitor.  If it has then you will find that the CPU speed will probably
throttle down when the CPU power saving is enabled.

Rob