[LUG] Outlook Web Access mail on Evolution was Re: Firefox add-on IE Tab

On 22/01/2009 21:41, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 22/01/2009 21:00, james kilty wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 21:13 +0000, Martijn Grooten wrote:
>>

>>> IE Tab, I believe, uses IE's rendering machine so if a trojan is
>>> making use of some bug in IE, it may or may not work in IE Tab.
>>> Firefox, however, isn't bug free either, so it's essential to use some
>>> kind of security software on top of that.
>>>

>> Thanks. Interesting that today she was warned about a Trojan as she was
>> using OWA though she cannot remember whose email she was responding to.
>> It could be from there. So the combination of the 3 programmes seems to
>> be doing something good for her.
>>
>> One day she might go Linux. Here's in hope.
>>
>> Thanks - you are all so kind in supporting an not-really-Linux topic.
>>
>> James
>>

> Just had a thought, Evolution supports Exchange through the Outlook Web
> Access.  I'll have a play with my Outlook account and see if it works.
> If it works using an OWA account then maybe it might be a way to ween
> her off Windows.
>
> Rob

Sure enough it works!

I followed these instructions...

http://blog.sudosu.com/2008/12/26/evolution-wont-connect-to-exchange-server/

Basically you do the following (it can be done on a Live CD to test too)...

Open up Evolution.  If you haven't used it before (such as on a fresh
install or running from a Live CD) click Forward to get past the wizard
introduction...

Click Forward on the restore from backup screen (unless you want to
restore from a backup ;-)

Enter the users full name (as it would appear on Outlook Web Access,
usually this would probably be FirstName Lastname but I've seen some
companies implement different things).
Enter the users full e-mail address (i.e. john.doe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

If you want to use it as the default account leave the tickbox ticked.

Click Forward.

Select Microsoft Exchange as the server type.

In the Username box enter the exact user name that you use to login to
the account.

In the OWA URL box enter the URL to the Outlook Web Access (for instance
https://mail.someserver.co.uk/exchange).  You should be able to get the
exact URL from the address bar when you're on the login screen of the
Outlook Web Access site.  In the case of my OWA account I have to enter
https rather than http as only the https ports have been forwarded on
the router.

Leave the Mailbox option empty.

Now click on Authenticate

It will ask for your password, enter this and optionally click the
remember password checkbox then click OK.  You may be asked to enter a
password for the default keyring if you haven't already done this.

Evolution will then talk to the server.  If you were successful it will
fill in the Mailbox box for you.  If it doesn't work it'll probably come
up with an error message at this point.

Click Forward.

The next page of options are up to you.  I personally tick the Check for
new messages every X minutes and leave it as 10 minutes.  I also tick
the Check for new messages in all folders option.

I left the Global Address List entries empty.  You may be able to these
details from the server administrator possibly.  I presume it's just so
it can download the Global Address List.

I left the password expiry setting as the default, ticked and set to 7.
I also checked Syncronise Account locally (so it keeps a local copy of
my mail on my PC).  I left the filters option and the Junk Mail options
unticked as the first time round when I had these ticked it threw up
some Junk Mail error messages.

Once you're happy with the settings, click Forward.

Now enter a name for the account.  This is just so it makes it easier to
tell it apart from other e-mail accounts in Evolution.

Then click Forward.

Select your Time Zone (presumably Europe/London).

Click Forward.

Click Apply.

Now you're ready to go...

Evolution will then appear and it may possibly prompt to access to the
keyring.  Once you allow it access it should then hopefully download
your mailbox.

You'll see the Outlook account under Mail, it'll be beneath the folders
for the mail 'On This Computer'.

Give it a try, hopefully you'll have some joy.  It certainly worked with
Exchange 2003 (running on Windows Server 2003 SBS).  Not sure if it
works with Exchange 2007 but you should be able to find out what version
of Exchange they are running on the OWA login screen assuming they
haven't customised it.  On my client's OWA login screen it says
"Microsoft Office Outlook Web Access Provided By Microsoft Exchange
Server 2003".

Anyway, hope this helps.  If anyone is interested when I have time I'll
try and write up some instructions to put on the Wiki.

Rob