Re: [LUG] Crashing Computer

Grant Sewell wrote:
> peter wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have my son in laws old computer (with quite a good spec) running
>> Window$ which keeps on crashing after about an hour. I asked before here
>> and I think we settled for heat problems, but then it would only last 15
>> mins max. (I have reset a lot of BIOS stuff - and its winter!).
>>
>> I have booted it up with an old Ubuntu live CD (can not remove windoze
>> (not my computer - yet)).  This will help to discover if the problem is
>> Windows related (It crashed on Linux previously) .  Is there anything I
>> can use to try and work out what is happening?  It has network and
>> Internet access.  Perhaps there is a way to capture its dieing gasp (But
>> I currently can not write to disk).
>>
>> All the best
>>
>> Peter
>>
> I had a machine that would last for several hours, and then would just
> reboot unannounced. After this, it would continually reboot
> (unannounced) every 5mins or so. Checking the CPU temp, etc, came up
> with nothing. It turned out that the fan on the power supply had stopped
> spinning and so the PSU was overheating.
>
> Grant.

sounds about right that power supply a bit iffy,youcould give it a good
clean out first,normally you would get some sort of warning if it was a
software problem ie:blue warning screen or this application has to close.
you could download everest, ithink that puts a monitor into your tray
when you run it that gives you the cpu temp and gives you lots of other
info.
alex the noob