Re: [LUG] Crashing Computer

peter wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have my son in laws old computer (with quite a good spec) running
> Window$ which keeps on crashing after about an hour. I asked before here
> and I think we settled for heat problems, but then it would only last 15
> mins max. (I have reset a lot of BIOS stuff - and its winter!).
>
> I have booted it up with an old Ubuntu live CD (can not remove windoze
> (not my computer - yet)).  This will help to discover if the problem is
> Windows related (It crashed on Linux previously) .  Is there anything I
> can use to try and work out what is happening?  It has network and
> Internet access.  Perhaps there is a way to capture its dieing gasp (But
> I currently can not write to disk).
>
> All the best
>
> Peter
I had a machine that would last for several hours, and then would just
reboot unannounced. After this, it would continually reboot
(unannounced) every 5mins or so. Checking the CPU temp, etc, came up
with nothing. It turned out that the fan on the power supply had stopped
spinning and so the PSU was overheating.

Grant.