Re: [LUG] error with HAL on debian lenny

Paul Sutton wrote:

> I get the following error if i do dpkg -l hal at the console in debian lenny
>
> http://pastebin.com/m2d2a5bc7

I see no error, I see only the expected output for hal in lenny.

Post error if there is one.

> if its significant then the output of uname -a gives
> Linux duron1600 2.6.18-4-686 #1 SMP Wed May 9 23:03:12 UTC 2007 i686
> GNU/Linux

> which says I am running 2.6.18-4 which is odd as lenny uses a later kernel

Do you have "linux-image-686" (or appropriate) installed? i.e. Package
that depends on latest kernel.

Did you reboot since upgrading?

> I am trying to get my system to auto mount devices just as it did when i
> was running etch,  it worked fine before the upgrade then broke

Which desktop?

In GNOME the package "gnome-volume-manager" will want to be installed,
that has usually been all I've needed to make this work (since it
depends on other stuff needed of course), although sometimes I've had to
tweak it to do exactly what I want with character sets and the like
(Lenny can do the tweaking via the properties tab of the mounted disk's
desktop icon, but it still isn't "easy enough", since I have to stop and
think, rather than say find a drop down menu showing the possible
characters sets).

> btw man hal gives no manual entry

There is no "hal" command hence no need for a manual page. "man hald"
should work, but it won't help unless your brain is having a better day
than mine is.