Re: [LUG] Audible downloads

http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/20050607_unlocking_audible_books_legally.html

 On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 16:49 +0100, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 04:01:32PM +0100, Philip Whateley wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 14:29 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
> >
> > > Are you able to download the files from their web site or do you need
> > > specific software?
> > >
> > >  From what it suggests on their web site the audio works on most
> > > standard MP3 players including a fair few which would support Windows
> > > Media Audio and also the iPod which doesn't support WMA, so I'd guess
> > > it's MP3 format.
> > >
> > > Rob
> > >

> > >From what I remember, you have to select Windows or Mac, and then
> > download some software (I presume DRM?). I don't think you can get to
> > the download page without installing the software. There was also some
> > information about what happens to your downloads if you un-install the
> > software.
>
> Audible normally uses the *aa file format
>
> http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/20050607_unlocking_audible_books_legally.html
> http://tunebite.com/en/remove_drm/editions/

I bought a couple of Neil Stephenson books, the diamond age etc, from
audible back in the days when I used windows. 4 years later I wanted
them again and was able to download them from the My Library section and
the download software.

Yes you do need windows software to do the download, I had a virtual XP
installed. There is software around that will convert *.aa (BTW I don't
think this is the same as the standard mac *.aa codec), but this may be
windows based as well. There used to be a converter by a company called
Riverpast that would do the job - you need version 5 as they had to
remove the facility in later versions.

Also if you do download the stuff from a virtual machine you can burn it
to cd and then convert to whatever you want.