Re: [LUG] Webmail for small screens?

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 09:04:50PM +0100, Dave Walker wrote:

> There is no reason you couldn't run an secure IMAP server listening on port
> 443/https.  I'd hope your phone supports custom port settings as most IMAP clients
> do.  However, £7.50 does sound quite alot for such a restrictive service; is it
> their 'unlimited' package?

1/ Phone supports custom port settings. The O2 service does not seem to permit many
ports

2/ £7.50 is the pay as you go monthly fee. 02 categorically state "email" and
"downloads" are not supported. They also advise that browsing is unlimited. I am
more than happy to look at other providors but so far O2 is the only one that works
for me.

I presume that the reason is that corporates want full email connectivity and are
prepared to pay for it. Webmail is a bit of a pain. It works but ..

Solutions for me are as follows

a/ use webmail. Not brilliant but it works and is cheaper and quicker than the
alternatives.
b/ Set up a VPN and connect over port 80.
c/ Use Putty and connect on port 80. I use putty when I need to access my home
computer.

Once my current mobile dies then I will have another look around. The Openmoko
system running debian is attractive

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding. Electronic documents