Re: [LUG] Viglen box

Tom Potts wrote:
> On Friday 11 July 2008 09:40, Tom Potts wrote:
>> Has anyone tried the MPC-L:
>> http://www.viglen.co.uk/webmail/5star-offers.html
>>
>> I think I'm going to get one to act as an everything server -
>> mail/proxy/nas (with extra USB HD)/ubuntu update proxy/print server etc and
>> was wondering if anyone else has tried one yet?
>> Tom te tom te tom
> Oh and can anyone recommend a UPS to go with it - ie one that can run the
> viglen, a wireless router and NAS box?
> Tom te tom te tom te two

How long do you want the UPS to power it all for?

I'd say any small UPS would do the job.  For instance this at £32 should
be fine http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126404

It should at least give it 15 minutes or maybe more backup (depending on
how much load it is).

To give you a better example, a 1500VA UPS can power a whole rack in a
radio station (consisting of a couple of PCs and tuners) for 15 minutes.

So something like a router, NAS box and very small PC would probably be
such a low load that it may run for half an hour or more even on a 400VA
UPS.  IIRC the Belkin UPS does also have Linux drivers.

Rob