Re: [LUG] Writing data to a disconnected laptop hard drive

Neil Williams wrote:
> OK, my sad HP laptop has died [0] (pile of crap failed on my birthday).
> I suspect some kind of power spike.

Nice!

> So, my questions:
>
> This is a slimline laptop hard drive, Samsung HM250JI. It has a slimline
> laptop connector - from left to right, 7 pins and a gap then 15 pins.

That sounds like SATA to me not mini IDE.

SATA power is indeed 15 pins and Data is on about a 7 pin connector

Specs for that HD indicate SATA only

> Does anyone (hopefully near to Plymouth) have a suitable connector that
> can mount this thing? Ideally I'd like to mount it over USB but I'm not
> confident that this would be possible. Mounting it over IDE is going to
> mean connecting it to a relatively old machine which might not have
> anything except standard IDE support.

Yea its going to be pretty much impossible to mount IDE or USB if it is
indeed SATA

I've got SATA on my rig but does it use standard SATA connectors or are
they mini versions of the same thing?

if its SATA and nobody is any closer your welcome to pop down, I am near
newquay now, just of A30, so not still at falmouth :-) Just need to
check those connectors

Robin