Re: [LUG] scanners

george wrote:
> I reckon that there are 2 problems with Linux as the desktop and the worst
> one, in my opinion, is getting scanners to work.  I've had several goes at
> getting my Epson 3490 to work and have given up and installed it on XP

Funnily enough the only scanner I've got to work at all out of half a
dozen is an Epson - a CX3200. I've wasted a long time mucking around
with scanners and share your frustration.

> The other problem of course is wireless.  Ok I have a Broadcom card which
> ain't the best but tell that to a Windows user.  I can get the network to
> work on boot but the received signal is very low.  I can get it to work with
> manual input which gives very good signal strength.  I'm trying to learn a
> bit about shell scripts to see if I can automate what I do or modify the boot
> process but that ain't the answer for the rest of the world.

Yes - you still need to pick hardware carefully, especially from vendors
who aren't traditionally linux-friendly. It's not linux's fault - can
you imagine what hardware support on windows would be like if MS had to
write the drivers for every bit of kit because the manufacturers were
too lazy?

Scary thought that.