Re: [LUG] Packaging operating systems

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 10:32 +0000, Grant Sewell wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 16:09:59 +0000
> Neil Williams wrote:
>
> > I'm looking at something like that but this being Emdebian, it has to
> > be smaller - a lot smaller. An SD card actually, say 64 or 128Mb,
> > containing a complete Emdebian GUI filesystem and kernel (~50Mb
> > unpacked) and space enough to unpack stuff and still retain user data.
> > Plug it into your PDA, WindowsMobile is probably dumb enough to run
> > any old scripting that is on the card and hey presto, Debian.
> > ;-)
> >
> > (Emdebian already has a package set that can provide a full GUI
> > installation with kernel in the space normally reserved for the
> > smallest Debian network installer image. It isn't easy yet, but it's
> > coming along
> > - plus it doesn't need a network connection.)
> >
> > With the current price of such cards, it could almost be a
> > "give-away". That would be good. GNU/Linux on a mini-SD card (or even
> > microSD) - I mean those things can be 11mmx15mmx1mm or less than half
> > an inch square by 1/25" thick in old money. It would need a plastic
> > holder just to stop people losing it!
> >
> > I dare say it could run as a live-SD but I'm focusing on the 'hijack'
> > method. With those mini-SD cards that some phones use (mine has
> > 512Mb), it would be possible to do it with a phone too, once GpePhone
> > is available.
> > :-)
>
> Ooh, this sounds like fun.  I have a 2GB card for my Sony Ericsson
> K800i - any Debian projects on that? :D

Depends. Sony don't seem particularly keen to give detailed specs on the
bits that matter - the CPU, flash space etc. If you can find/build a
suitable kernel and identify precise details of the CPU, then it may be
possible. Note that phone support is some way off - the first target is
PDA's. Smartphones are still encumbered with proprietary madness and
"trade secrets" so it is harder to make progress on those. So you may
well end up with a GNU/Linux device but have to wait for support from
GpePhone.

TBH most of the work with phones is about getting standards adopted in
the next generation of phones because the turnover is just so high.

PDAs are my focus so I don't do a lot of "digging" into issues with
phones.

--

Neil Williams