Re: [LUG] FLOSS in schools

You are, of course, right about knowing how to use data. I despair at the way
people waste time in stupid practises, duplicate data with errors to slow
themselves down, throw away useful stuff, and generally fail to know what to
do with it.

The lost CD of tax details was a good example. The disk should not have
included all the personal details, but the sender was incapable or too lazy
to remove the unwanted confidential stuff. The disk wasn't encrypted because
of a cavalier attitude.

Every time I move house I have to deal with organisations (including very big
ones who should know better) who are incapable of dealing with an address
change. It is the most stressful part of moving - dealing with other people's
inability to handle data.

Just having an appointment diary with notes like "do this if it has not been
sorted out yet" would improve the competence of most people.

> Someone who has an inkling that emulating the paper office on a computer is
> the same as putting a man with a red flag in front of an automobile: to
> protect others from any possible benefit.

A good solution to climate change though.