Re: [LUG] [Bulk] printer recomendation needed

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:43:13 +0000, Simon Avery
<flash@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>viv wrote:
>
>Lexmark: Avoid. cheap, nasty and notoriously unfriendly to linux.
>Seriously, walk past them quickly in the shops, don't even look at them.

I have read that in a coupes of places now ... will avoid

>HP are usually good. (Some historical issues like ink that "expires" by
>date, but generally good. Linux support very good.)
>
>Epson; Linux support often ok, but check particular model. Actual
>printer quality variable.
>
>Brother; They do a cheap network inkjet that's actually very good, got
>one here. Linux support great.

not that keen on Brother due to problems with my current HL1070.
and cost of new drum and toner.

>When buying a printer for linux, ALWAYS google the model number for
>linux support details. linuxprinting.org is a good resource.

tried that, missed the linuxprinting.org site (embarrassed)

>Cups has made huge increases in linux friendliness, very impressive.
>Supports a *lot* of stuff right out of the box. Finding network paths
>can sometimes be tricky but again, google is your friend.
>
>I loathe printers by the way. I loathe the whole market model that
>encourages cheap products underpinned by phenominally expensive ink
>(something like four times as expensive as gold, weight for weight) and
>entire designs that encourage failure. I dislike that the HP Deskjet
>which was *perfect* when it was launched has been progressively
>redesigned to lose reliability and quality on every revision until a
>once trusted brand is now shunned by those who have to look after the
>sodding things.

only printed one page at home in last 3 years due to my HL1070
being knackered

>Good printers:
>HP Deskjet, first generation inkjet.
>Epson FX-80, dot matrix.
>HP Laserjet 4, size and cost of a car.
>
>Each one of these has served me faithfully for many many years with low
>running costs and utmost reliability.
>
>Everything else is crap, ime...

Thanks for your thoughts (and also thanks to Viv, Neil, Simon and
Grant for their postings in this thread)

Dave
--
http://www.morgad.co.uk/index.html
DP: http://www.pgdp.net   NTP: http://www.pool.ntp.org