Re: [LUG] [Bulk] printer recomendation needed

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 13:43 +0000, Simon Avery wrote:
> viv wrote:
>
> I loathe printers by the way. I loathe the whole market model that
> encourages cheap products underpinned by phenominally expensive ink
> (something like four times as expensive as gold, weight for weight) and
> entire designs that encourage failure. I dislike that the HP Deskjet
> which was *perfect* when it was launched has been progressively
> redesigned to lose reliability and quality on every revision until a
> once trusted brand is now shunned by those who have to look after the
> sodding things.
>
> Good printers:
> HP Deskjet, first generation inkjet.
> Epson FX-80, dot matrix.
> HP Laserjet 4, size and cost of a car.
>
> Each one of these has served me faithfully for many many years with low
> running costs and utmost reliability.
>
> Everything else is crap, ime...

Have to agree on the HPDJ front.

I still have an HP Deskjet 640C.  Almost as old as the hills, and just a
reliable.  Ink isn't as cheap as I'd like, but that's par for the
course.  It does tend to shake unsteady surfaces a fair whack, and make
sure you're actually holding onto any cups of tea/coffee/whatever in the
vicinity.

I also have a Samsung ML4500 laser.  Cheap(ish).  Cheerful(ish).  Was a
PITA to get working initially, but these days it "just works" nicely.

I have played about with my Mum's HP PSC 1215 (IIRC), and found that it
scans nicely, but won't print... or it'll print nicely but won't scan.
To be honest I've not played with it enough to bother sorting it out.

Cheers.
Grant.