Re: [LUG] re Linux Format Articles

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 07:02:46 +0000
viv <viv.griffin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There was a message recently about getting a CD of Linux magazines but,
> it was only available in America. It does not appear that it is possible
> to get old copies of Linux Format magazines going back earlier than
> September 2007 and they do not appear to produce an archive CD (I would
> happily buy it if one was available). I would like to make CD of useful
> articles as I have magazines going back more than 1 year, by scanning
> the most useful ones. However, if I wanted to share these with the rest
> of you, would this be a breach of copyright ?

Probably, yes. However, you are likely to get a helpful response if you
ask LinuxFormat *before* you start. Go to the linuxformat website and
seek assistance on the forums.

> They have produced some
> really useful articles that are no longer available and would be useful
> for people new / newish to Linux today.

There are problems with this:
1. You would need to check that the older advice still applies -
software moves quickly and the examples, problems and fixes may simply
be out of date.
2. Old articles cannot deal with newer aspects - there may well be
tools or solutions available now that make the advice redundant, even
if it would still work.

--

Neil Williams