Re: [LUG] sharing lines.

Hi Tom,

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 06:11:21PM +0000, Tom Potts wrote:
> My next door neighbour has adsl as do I. Does anyone know of a way of sharing
> the two as one so we can use each others spare bandwidth?

I'm assuming you have a way to connect the networks together.  i.e.
a direct cable, or wifi or similar.

Then it depends on how you want to design the network.  You could
bridge them together into one LAN and both use the same range of
IPs, being careful to avoid collisions (or both use the same DHCP
server, which would prevent that).  Or you could connect both LANs
into a router device and set static routes.

Either way, once you have the two segments talking to each other,
which DSL is used depends on any policy routing and the default
gateway.  It isn't going to be as simple as "always use the DSL that
is least loaded".  Packets coming out of your neighbour's DSL will
have a different source IP to packets coming out of yours.  There is
no way to migrate a TCP conversation from one DSL to the other.

You can achieve simple load balancing by deciding which classes of
traffic will go which way.  For example, an office I know has two
DSL connections.  It uses one for a VPN to another office, and the
other for Internet traffic.

To do proper laod balancing you'd have to bond the DSLs - usually
only possible when they both are with the same ISP, and would
require DSL modems that support that.  So that's not likely an
option for you here.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB