Re: [LUG] OT: VMS 30 today

Clare Shepherd wrote:

> Are Unix workstations still used, and if so what for. I know Linux is
> a rewrite, but I'm sure the latest Unix distros must be used by
> someone other than as servers for the internet etc. Just curious,
> sorry to be so ignorant.
> Clare

Well when I was working at the scientific research lab about 5 years ago
they were slowly moving over to Linux (RedHat 9 at the time) as it was
cheaper to buy a reasonable spec desktop machine and dual boot with
Windows XP or single boot RedHat than spend out for a Sun workstation.
They had all sorts of different kit in the place ranging from Windows
PCs to Macs to Sun workstations to Alphas.

 From what I understand they did have some old kit which would only work
with Sun workstations but I think gradually things were either moving
over to Linux, Java or Windows.

Rob