Re: [LUG] OT: VMS 30 today

I've just read an interesting article in the Make magazine daily
newsletter about the above. VMS is open now and owned by HP. As it's
a paid sub, I've posted the news item. I thought some here might find
it of passing interest.

Gareth Williams, associate director of the Smithsonian Astrophysical
Observatory Minor Planet Center since 1990, has been tracking the
400,000 orbits of known asteroids and comets in the solar system
using a cluster of 12 VAXes, from offices on the Harvard University
campus. The Deutsche Börse stock exchange in Frankfurt runs on VMS.
The Australian Stock Exchange runs on it. The train system in
Ireland, Irish Rail, runs on it, as does the Amsterdam police
department. The U.S. Postal Service runs its mail sorters on OpenVMS,
and Amazon.com uses it to ship 112,000 packages a day. It has "a very
loyal installed base of customers," says Ann McQuaid, general manager
of OpenVMS at HP, who shows no signs of wanting to give it up.

If anyone is interested in more here's a link to the original article
in Information Week: http://www.informationweek.com/news/
showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202801794

Clare