Re: [LUG] OT: "Bloody' Microsoft

Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:
> My point was that what Microsoft consider to be their rights do not
> necessarily match what UK law, or the law in any other territory,
> considers to be their rights.

I think we can all agree that Microsoft can 'go forth and multiply' ;)
> No. You're taking me out of context; part of my email you removed
> mentioned the original purpose of copyright being so that an author
> can earn enough money to make creating a work worthwhile. This is
> perfectly legitimate, though I don't see why a non-free licence is
> necessary just to make money from writing software.

I didn't take anything out of context. I'm simply stating the basic fact
that a person who writes a program is just as much an author as one who
writes a book or a piece of music, and by that has the right to have
their work protected, and as you just said 'to make creating the
[program] worthwhile.
> What I *strongly* object to is a company like Microsoft charging ?400+
> for an *office suite* and having the nerve to stick a ridiculous licence
> on it, that all but requires one's first-born son to be posted to
> Redmond.

We all have the right to choose not to buy software we believe to be
ludicrously priced (on that example I agree with you). Games for example
- I happen to like the game Max Payne, but I refused to buy the sequel
when it came out at £30. I've just purchased it second hand on Play.com
for £5.

When the software companies come round to realising this pattern of
purchase exists, and consumers more vocally demand value for money, I
hope we will see software prices fall. It's already starting to happen
with DVDs, different market of course, but I hope the logic will follow on.

Kind regards,

Julian