Re: [LUG] OT: "Bloody' Microsoft

Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:
> No, it doesn't. The law might make it legally questionable,
Call me picky but isn't that what laws are *for*?  To define what is
legal and what isn't?  That's why they're called laws - otherwise they'd
be called guidelines..
>  but the
> Federation Against Software Theft, Microsoft, SCO, et al. do not
> make the laws.

MS and SCO are irrelevant to the argument.  FAST are not as they are the
body charged with monitoring activities in this area.  No they're not a
law enforcement agency, but then nor are Customs and Excise who monitor
various activities.  Their job is to monitor and report on infractions.
> "Necessarily" being the operative word. Corporations generally take
> a rather conservatative view of copyright law (for "conservative"
> read "draconian") which does not necessarily line up with legal
> rights in a given territory (for example, parts of Europe -
> Scandinavia, I think - give anybody the right to reverse-engineer
> any software for limited purposes, and no matter how much Microsoft
> want to whinge about it they can't take away that right with their
> EULAs).

Individual states of course have a perfect right to set their own laws.
However we are not in any of *them*, we are in the UK, and until/unless
we adopt a European law similar to Scandinavia, we abide by our laws.
> They're misused by software companies to shaft customers for
> as much cash as they can cram into Bill Gates' gold-plated sock
> drawer
OK so I am a private individual.  Say I spend a long time writing a
piece of software, maybe a year or more developing it.  I want to earn
an income for my efforts - a reasonable wish I would think.  I get it
distributed and sold with a license clearly stating the user may install
it on their PC for private use.  The cover price is £29.99 (ie the price
for the license to use it).  Instead they get a pirated copy and deprive
me of my *earned* income.  That's OK with you is it?  That's what you're
saying so far.
> Income they so desperately need to send the board of directors on
> holiday to the Caribbean for six months of the year?
Why do people resort to sarcasm when they run out of ways to refute an
argument?

Julian