Re: [LUG] OT: "Bloody' Microsoft

Simon Waters wrote:
> Most of the laws in this area are civil laws, so there is no law
> enforcement agencies for most of it, other than when the individual who
> perceives a wrong against them taking legal action.
>
> So in that sense FAST is a law enforcement agency.

Fair point :)
> One of the mistakes, I believe, in the DMCA (and the EU Copyright
> directive) was to move some copyright offences into criminal law. The
> police/state have more important things to do than protecting "property"
> that is created only by agreement anyway.

Also true :)
> As such if you write a program you licence for £29.99 and Ben copies it,
> and doesn't pay you, it isn't worth you pursuing the case against him as
> an individual.
Which is what some people engaged in such activities rely on.  They hope
the companies will ignore minnows to go after the big fish.
> Of course if FAST or someone found lots of such software on Ben's computers
> it might be worth them pursuing it collectively, also as an example to
> others.
A guy I once worked with was done for it.. luckily for him the evidence
was messed up and the judge threw the case out.  Something about the
evidence list saying '2000 Playstation games'. not  '2000 *copied*
Playstation games'.. that and all the games had gone walkabout.  O.o

Kind regards,

Julian