Re: [LUG] Long-distance printing

Sorry for thread breaking but I've already deleted the original post.

If it's of interest I've just done an install of a Brother network
printer - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/80071 - £76 inc vat.

It comes with Windows and Mac drivers and a quick google spoke very
highly of Brother's commitment to linux and that they've got their own
binary drivers.  I haven't tried it under linux myself but I've no
reason to think it wouldn't work, and there's reports of full and easy
operation of scan/fax/print over the network too.

Can't fault the printer itself, fax/copy/printer with card reader and
network. The quality of the printer seems fine, better than any other
<£200 printer I've used.  I've previously been a HP buyer because of
hplib but having just thrown their D125 in a skip because "The ink
cartridge has expired" (and the 'new' one I bought out of a shop was the
same) I'm less impressed by that kind of underhand tactic which forces
you to throw away perfectly good inks.  (Tip: you can remove the date
battery and bypass this, but it's still unworthy of them)

Anyway, just thought the Brother worth a mention. It impressed me with
VFM far more than the £500 HP clunky laserjet I bought last year. Seems
they lost the ability to make good laserjets after the LJ4, same as they
did with Deskjets when they started redesigning it every week. :/

--
Simon Avery