Re: [LUG] Gobolinux (was KDE Install?)

Michael Mortimore wrote:
>> Duplication of libraries required.
>> (Sharing libraries is part of what makes linux so efficient and reliable)
> My understanding was that the libraries were shared as normal.

<snip>

Ok, I'm guilty of jumping to a few conclusions then and your explanation
cleared up my mistakes. This raises more questions.

If the libs are shared then what, exactly, is compartmentalised in
\Programs\ProgramName ? Is it merely the unique binaries/scripts and a
few symlinks. Or is it the other way and the libs are installed there
and subsequent programs symlink to the shared libs in the first
program's sub directories and if so, how does it know without a package
manager?

I am conservative by nature, it's one of my flaws and quite often I'll
meet new ideas with a certain doggedness, but this one just doesn't seem
to offer anything other than confusion.

If somebody chooses this distro they are either: A) Someone who doesn't
want to know what's under the hood or B) A geek who loves the idea and
thinks it's great.

If A) then I still maintain you can use most of the modern distros
without knowing anything about how they work.

If B) then they'll learn a file system that's wrong and spend a lot of
time fiddling to get stuff not supported working and learn a filesystem
that isn't widely used and when they try to use another distro they'll
be getting mighty confused.

>> Incompatibility with other linux versions and software.
> Gobolinux claims to be very compatible.

Judging from the website it looks like most things need to be repackaged
in 'recipes'. Not sure how building things from source would work, I'd
guess you'd need to rewrite each makefile so it installed elsewhere.

My main difficulty in understanding this distro is simply - Why?
I guess I just don't agree that Linux's filesystem needs changing.

--
Simon Avery