Re: [LUG] Gobolinux (was KDE Install?)

george wrote:

> A large problem that I have found coming to linux is finding where things are,
> because the directory structures follow unix which has evolved over the last
> 40(?) years rather than been planned.  Gobolinux overcomes this to large
> extent.  I can see the pro's OK but does anyone know of any major con's?

Duplication of libraries required.
(Sharing libraries is part of what makes linux so efficient and reliable)

Exponential increase in disk size needed.

No central update system.

Incompatibility with other linux versions and software.

Personally I'm very happy leaving it to apt to add and remove software
so I use debian and debian based distros exclusively. What's easier than
typing "apt-get install product" and "apt-get remove product" - unless
maybe using synaptic or the gui apt-based manager of your choice. In
many cases you don't *need* to know the ins and outs of a filesystem.

Simon