Re: [LUG] Ethernet Router- recommendations?

David Brook wrote:
> I have obviously been extremely unlucky with my Linksys experience.
>
> I am about to take yet another back to PC world.
>
> My first, a WAG54g just died (almost as the guarantee ran out - I say almost
> as - I should have said 'just after') - but had been plauged with spurious
> dropping of connections, locking out etc.  I was using it purely as a
> gateway, NAT translator and firewall.
>
> My second, a WAG54GS lasted about 3 weeks - also used in the same way, also
> spuriously dropping connections and locking up until one day it just would
> not switch back on.
>
> The third (a replacement WAG54GS) is currently in use but still causing me
> grief and about to go back.. Although on the latest firmware it still drops
> the connection, locks up etc.  It needs regular rebooting to reconnect.  The
> lights do not show the correct status.  Switching the B. thing on can take 5
> mins of intermittent pressing the stupid software based on/off switch before
> the grade A? hardware will realise someone is trying to interract with it.
>
> My sister has the next model up, cannot recall the model, looks the sme but
> with two aerials.  She is experiencing the same problems.
>
> The wireless capability on ALL of them has been C..P to say the least.
>

> Maybe fifth time lucky, or then again maybe I shall dump Linksys as
> suggested by numerous others and try something else this time.
>
> I thought Cisco backed Linksys would be a good bet - but no longer think so.
>
> I would definitely NOT recommend linksys, but would also be keen to hear of
> other router/broadband gateway options - for me, wireless is not an issue as
> I have Cat 5e wired the entire house based on my Linksys wireless
> experience.
>
> Cheers
>
> David

You have been unlucky .. to see so many failures in a short period of time.

Just out of interest do you have any problems with the mains (AC) supply
? do you get brownouts etc ?

I had some similar problems (not linksys tho) before I installed UPS's
for all my kit.

Some stuff is more sensitive to things like poor line voltages than
others - routers, access points and similar seem to fair badly in that
respect.

Just a thought - it might not be the reason but worth looking into anyway

Dave